JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My generator shuts down after running a few minutes. When it

Customer Question

My generator shuts down after running a few minutes. When it stops a clicking noise continues until you press the shut off button. I also noticed recently that this clicking
noise is also present when the generator is running. What could be the problem???
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  ronald-cssm replied 1 year ago.
"We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/97fqh-generator-shuts-down-running-few-minutes-when.html. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I am guessing at this one, but i think the clicking noise you hear may be the hourmeter on the machine. I would check to verify this but that is the only thing that i can think of that would make a noise once the engine or machine dies. As long as the switch is still on the hourmeter is still counting away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, your response that the clicking noise may be the hourmeter and that makes sense, but my main problem is that the generator shuts off on it's own after running for several seconds. I have replaced the oil pressure sensor but that did not fix
the problem!!! What else could be causing the generator to shut down????
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I would guess that it may not be getting enough fuel to keep it running.If you remove the air filter and spray carburetor cleaner directly into the throat of the carburetor can you keep the engine running? If so then you need to clean the carburetor jets and main fuel nozzle.