Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Why did my & S Promax 9000 portable generator alternator

Customer Question

Why did my B & S Promax 9000 portable generator alternator fail at well below 100 hrs operation ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
There are several reasons that the generator can go bad.
The biggest reason is simply lack of use. Gensets need to be exercised regularly to keep them in top shape. If exercised properly, it keeps fresh fuel in the system (so the fuel doesn't rot), it keeps all internal components lubricated, it keeps the battery charged up (when there is a battery), and it keeps the generator (alternator) clean and dry. Dirt and moisture are hug enemies of a generator.
When a genset sits, dust and dirt can settle in - as well as rodents taking up residence inside. The windings can also collect moisture, due to condensation from humidity.
Running it regularly helps keep dust/dirt blown out, decreases the likelihood of rodents getting in and staying, and evaporates any moisture the can build up.
Another reason that it can fail is simply the human factor. Anything that is mass produced in quantity is going to end up with some inferior product getting to market. It is impossible to stop it. Once in a while, someone may not be paying close enough attention, there can be problems with the machinery fabricating the product, or raw materials come in not meeting standards. This is quite a frequent occurrence - just look at all the car recalls we have been seeing the last few years.
.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Did this help?