Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My 20 hp FR600V engine on a Timecutter SS4235 won't turn over.

Customer Question

My 20 hp FR600V engine on a Timecutter SS4235 won't turn over. The starter seems fine but I can't turn the engine by hand. I'm guessing some sort of compression lock? Possibly a valve adjustment is needed? I don't know how the compression release works. Thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
First thing to do is remove the spark plugs!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Then if engine does not turn, and there is nothing under the engine blocking the pulleys , engine is seized!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had removed the plugs before trying to turn the flywheel. I can only awkwardly get ahold of a small bit of the flywheel so I wasn't sure if maybe I just wasn't able to apply enough force. The mower has seen little use, all just personal mowing and never been low on oil, so I'm not convinced it's seized. I'm suspecting the safety interlock is faulty and has a brake holding the flywheel from turning, and that its default state is to be engaged. I unhooked the blade belt and disconnected the battery and still can't turn the engine. Before I start taking things apart to verify that a safety interlock brake is holding the flywheel, do you have any other explanations I should be considering (besides a seized engine)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had removed the plugs before trying to turn the flywheel. I can only awkwardly get ahold of a small bit of the flywheel so I wasn't sure if maybe I just wasn't able to apply enough force. The mower has seen little use, all just personal mowing and never been low on oil, so I'm not convinced it's seized. I'm suspecting the safety interlock is faulty and has a brake holding the flywheel from turning, and that its default state is to be engaged. I unhooked the blade belt and disconnected the battery and still can't turn the engine. Before I start taking things apart to verify that a safety interlock brake is holding the flywheel, do you have any other explanations I should be considering (besides a seized engine)?Scratch that. I took the shroud off to get my hands on the flywheel properly and it turns. The starter motor and bendix gear checked out. I don't see an interlock brake attached to the flywheel, so it must not shut the engine down that way like walk-behinds do. Presumably it will start now when I re-assemble, but the source of the recurring problem hasn't been identified. Might bad valve adjustment be holding compression when it stops at certain points of rotation? It's the only reason I can think of that fits the symptoms.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Was there any fluid in the cylinders when turning with spark plug removed? If so, likely a leaking carburetor needle valve letting gas into cylinder. With Kawasaki, I doubt it would be a valve problem.