Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Kohler Command Pro CV740-0001 turns on, throttles up and

Customer Question

My Kohler Command Pro CV740-0001 turns on, throttles up and runs fine at 3750rpm. Once a load is applied with either turning the mower deck on or going fast with the hydros, the engine will throttle way down and act like it's in some kind of limp mode. It stays running, but the rpms are at about 2200. If I throttle it down to idle and wait for a few seconds, I can turn it back up to full throttle and it will run fine until a load is applied again. I have 40psi continuously on the fuel pump and both cylinders have spark all the time. The only other thing that I have noticed is the electric hydro cooling fan never comes on. I am out of ideas.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for your wait.Sounds to me iike your engine may be running only one one cylinder
Expert:  James W replied 1 year ago.
Start the engine and listen to the way it runsthen pull one of the spark plug wires off. It will either stop running totally, keep running the same way, or run much worse.If it stops running, that is because it was only running on that one cylinder.If there is no difference, then the cylinder you unhooked the wire fro was not running and it was running only on the other cylinder.If it starts running much worse, then it was running on both, and is NOW running on only one cylinder because you unpluged one of them. Let me know the results of this test, and I an help you further.
Expert:  James W replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for your wait, I was surprised when I logged on to see that none had answered your question for you. I have put the question into QA mode rather than chat mode in case you come back and I am off.
You will still be able to answer, and I can ready at a later time.
I will be notified via email and text when you have either replied or are looking for follow up information..