Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an RTZ50, unknown year. If I go into reverse the pto kicks out like it's suppo

Customer Question

I have an RTZ50, unknown year. If I go into reverse the pto kicks out like it's supposed to, but does not come in when I go forward. sometimes so and sometimes not.
Or sometimes if I stop to pick up brush it won't reengage.
What should I start to look for to fix this?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Some residential ztr mowers are designed so that the deck disengages when you try to go backwards. The sometimes it does and sometimes not issue may just be related to you not being in reverse as long or just momentarily hitting the safety switch. The problem of it not engaging after having been run for a while sounds like the electric clutch is getting some wear on it so that when it is warm the clearance is to great to allow for the clutch to engage again. You can look at the electric clutch and see if it is adjustable, if so you can adjust it to .012 in. which should solve your problem. If it is adjustable it will look like a triangle plate with three studs on it, these studs have adjustment nuts on them along with springs, you will see three holes around the triangle plate this is where you will check your adjustment clearances.