Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

MTD YArd Machine. This week mpwing and lost drive going up

Customer Question

MTD YArd Machine. This week mpwing and lost drive going up the fnt yard, its was moving just not in time with the rpm and gear selected. Thought it was belts. replaced all three while I was doin it, the trans drive belt looked a bit frayed other two looked great. Got everything back together. Still doing the same thing. 123 seem to be working ( although 3rd) is where by speed peaks the higher speed selection do not respond.model#13ac762f020247.286040 serial#1e030b10079
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Are you using OEM belts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read that is the choice to make
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are correct. Do you know if your belt remains tight, during the times when you your drive fails? Also, have you checked your engine pulley, to see if the key inside of it, is partially worn? These are only troubleshooting questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had the engine pully off to aid in the belt replacement for access, it went on tight and didn't feel like it had any play init, although to be honest Im not sure if the wear you are talking about would be felt or not. As for knowing if the belt is tight I cannot say, How can I check that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hought about jacking the rear end up /with no contact and trying to run without a load to see if the wheels speed up with the gear selected and rpm, But I don't know if that would tell me anything
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The best way is by checking your drive belts for tightness, immediately after your drive fail. We need to confirm whether or not your transmission pulley is actually turning, during the times when your mower fails to drive.
How often do you use your mower? Do you pull attachments behind your mower?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once a week sometimes twice depending on how much rain we get. I do have a few things I pull, thatch rake , and pull behind spreader,nothing large
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Does your mower pull strong and continuous, in 1st and 2nd speed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does feels normal down low
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at three and above is where its weak, or un responsive to the change at the speed setting
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I would like for you to try something, when you have a chance. Are you familiar with synchronizing your belts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No unfortunately not, But I can research it if you have any links
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I will tell you how to do it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or just give me the rundown
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Okay ...
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Put your transmission in neutral position. Depress your brake pedal, and move your speed selector to the highest position. Start your engine, and slowly release your brake pedal. This will synchronize your drive belts. After you finish this procedure, give your mower another try. Let's see if this makes a difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. at least I have something to try. Wish it wasn't so late id try it tonight but Wifey woudnt like that.. thanks Donald I appreciate your time, and the direction. I'll give it a shot in the morning.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Very good! In the morning will be much better. You will get a better view of what is taking place. We can continue tomorrow. Wait until we are finished before you leave a rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so how do I stay in contact w/you tomorrow?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Just save our discussion before you exit, and you will always have a direct link back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK great thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!