Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  many years on egine rebuilding, lawn mower,roto tiller,Truck,and small engines
6825259

I have a Briggs and Stratton 17.5hp OHV. It starts fine and

Customer Question

I have a Briggs and Stratton 17.5hp OHV. It starts fine and has run great until now.
Then the last time I started it the motor started to misfire and smoke. I then noticed there was oil coming out of the exhaust. A friend of mine told me there was a crank case vent under the flywheel that will clog up causing oil to blow out of the crank case. Any truth to this or is there a more serious problem. Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will help you with this how many hours on this engine,when was last time you adjusted valves let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea about hrs. but mower is 10 yrs. old. Have never adjusted valves
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take that back, I did adjust the valves about 5 yrs ago
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I suggest you adjust valves both valves 0.005 to 0..006I think this will cure your problem this is a common issue If this Helped you please Rate My Answer 3 stars or moreIf you need more infoUse the request Button, not a Poor/Bad Rating Thank You Wayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the delay. I don't understand how a valve adjustment would stop oil from getting into the combustion chamber and blowing out of the exhaust. It seems it would have more to do with rings. Don't know.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Morning
Yes rings would cause the oil burning
but not a miss
Oil leaks thru he valve guides
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the miss was caused by the oil fouling the plug, it was covered with oil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also is there some type of crank case vent under the flywheel like a friend of mine told me about ?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
HiThe vent is usually in the valve cover or side of the block , it goes to the carb to burn up fumes, look at the carb for a rubber hose and follow it bacck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try adjusting the valves and let you know the out come. Thanks
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed that the oil is getting into the carb. thru the crankcase hose that attaches to the filter housing.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that
OK, replace the breather , if that does not cure it
then yes the rings are worn
If this Helped you please Rate My Answer 3 stars or more
If you need more info
Use the request Button, not a Poor/Bad Rating
Thank You
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** you know
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I see you requested a Phone callThat Is additional $58.00 from JA on top of your question pricelets work from here