JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a riding mower, i believe the model is 13172470. my

Customer Question

I have a riding mower, i believe the model is 13172470. my brake/clutch is going out and i was trying to get a owners manual to see how to adjust them. I seem to be having a problem finding the manual, it says it can not find that model. If you could help me with my problem either by the manual or tell me how to fix the problem. Thanks for any help you can provide me.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
On most all riding mowers you will find that the brake adjustment can be made by looking under the rear of the machine. On either the right or left side of the transmission you will find the brake assembly. Normally a 1/2" wrench and a pair of pliers will be all that you need. Use the pliers to remove the cotter pin that holds the nut in place to keep it from vibrating and changing adjustment, take your 1/2" wrench and make slight adjustments until you are happy with the way the machine stays put when the brake is applied. As a general rule, I like to lock the parking brake down while making the adjustment this allows for you to get a better idea of what is happening while your making the adjustment. If you get this adjusted too tight you won't be able to roll the machine and the brake assembly will get extremely hot when operating the machine. Thanks