Jim Falletti
Jim Falletti,
Experience:  Mechanic/Owener at Mower Genius
84961441

I have a Briggs and Stratton 16hp Vanguard Motor

Customer Question

I have a Briggs and Stratton 16hp Vanguard Motor that is in a Cushman Trackster. The trickster had old gas in it and it ran. I replaced the fuel tank because the old one was rusted. I have good fuel going to the carb now it wont start. I have vaporized fuel coming out of the carb and it will back fire out the back. please help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jim Falletti replied 1 year ago.
You will need to first remove the carb and clean it out. Depending upon how long the mower was sitting will determine if a cleaning will work. Blow out you fuel lines, replace fuel filter (is any). Remove the plug install a new one. Then re-install carb. if it does not work still then install a new carb. This will do the trick as long as there is no internal damage from sitting, such and a seized engine and subsequent low compression.... Jim