Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My neighbor has a Craftsman rider with the Kohler 15.5 engine.

Customer Question

My neighbor has a Craftsman rider with the Kohler 15.5 engine. Mower sat outside all winter.
Can not get gas to spark plug. Engine will run if you spray starting fluid into carb, or use gas.
I have taken Carb. off and using carb cleaner and air compressor blew out all inlets. the float did not have gas in it. So I believe that is okay. Carburetor has gas in bowl. Replaced old gas. This Carburetor does have the Anti-back fire solenoid on bottom of bowl.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The anti-backfire solenoid plugs the main jet. If it does not click open as soon as the key is turned o, it keeps the fuel from entering the cylinder. It has to have battery voltage to open. Sounds like it can be the problem!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine spins over so there has to be voltage there. When the key is turned on there is no power to that line that leads up to solenoid. Should I try temp jump line from switch to solenoid.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, try a jumper wre from battery source.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
wire