Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 4000 onan micro lite . I wanted to put a remote switch

Customer Question

I have a 4000 onan micro lite . I wanted to put a remote switch on the inside but not sure what switch to buy and where to connect the four wires . White , brown, green and yellow , thx joe
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for requesting me.
What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?
Where are these wires located at? Are they left over from a previous genset?
If so, do you know if it was an Onan or a Generac?
Is there a plug on either end of the harness?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thx for the response , I can't answer the model number yet , I won't be near it till this weekend . So I will get it then . It is an onan 4000 micro lite . There is a wiring harness coming out of the generator ( 4 wires , white , green, brown and yellow) , they went to a wall switch in my last fifth wheel . I noticed one has power because I touched it to one wire ( I've forgotten the colors now) which activated the fuel pump , another wire engaged the starter .they did not have a plug on it , or if it did , it doesn't now . I will get the model number and get back to you. Joe
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok
But those wire do not have power to them - they operate grounds. Do NOT try to put power to any of them, or you will burn up the control board.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4kyfa26100k. The four wires come directly out of the onan generator . When I touch the green and brown the fuel pump runs , when I touch the green and white the generator starts and runs , when I touch green to yellow it shuts off. I just don't know what kind of switch to buy and which wires go where ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Meaning which wires go where on the new switch . Thx joe
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
You can not go by wire colors. There is no standard for them.
Those wires should be attached to a plug inside the genset. On the other side of the plug, all the wires will be white, and will be marked P8-(Letter).
P8-A is the common ground. It will correspond with terminal 2 of the remote switch.
P8-B is the stop wire. It will correspond with terminal 1 of the remote switch.
P8-C is the start wire. It will correspond with terminal C of the remote switch.
P8-F is the switched B+.
It will correspond with terminal 8 of the remote switch.
You will also need to run a jumper wire on the remote switch from terminal 2 to terminal 7.
The remote panel you will need for that genset will be Onan part number(###) ###-####
.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Was this what you wanted to know?
.