Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Riding mower x744. stopped break and won't start. no

Customer Question

riding mower x744. stopped for a break and won't start. no battery power, nothing. tried jumping without success. later tried again and gages lit up, one big click, then nothing again. it did this 3 times over the past 2 days. checked any fuse I could find and all good. seems like seat safety not engaged, but I see nothing wrong and don't see how to check it out. (and why would this just stop - and be on-and-of again 3 times?)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Is battery good? Do you have a voltmeter to check the voltage at the battery when you go to start? Sounds like battery or cable problem! Is negative cable tight and clean to the frame connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltage measures 12. Cables tight and battery and cable connections look like new
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything else?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Voltage does not drop when you engage the starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change on meter. Just like I didn't do anything.no sound or click or anything
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you try jumping the starter solenoid?If you did , and got nothing, it has to be battery or cables, or the starter is no good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not. Where is it and how do I jump it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
At the end of the posiitve battery cable. You would jump from the battery terminal to the single wire switch terminal on the same solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does the solenoid look like?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
it is part of the starter. Positive battery cable attaches to it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I find 12 volts getting to the solenoid. I tested what I think is the starter and get 12 volts that drops to zero when I turn the key.but no sound or anything
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Drops to zero is zero is problem! I suspect your battery is dead!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
With voltage dropping to zero, you have battery or cable problem.