Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Honda push mower. The drive assist is not working

Customer Question

I have a Honda push mower. The drive assist is not working properly
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, what is the model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hrr2163vxa
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
If the drive is slipping under load it could be a cable adjustment. Have you tried that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I just put a new cable on because the old one was wearing through
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the exact manual for your mower. I have one for a similar model and maybe the info will help you. http://1drv.ms/1LguXrN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already installed the cable and adjusted it. There is still very little power to the wheels. Could it be the belt. It looked good when I had it apart and there is no burning smell if it were slipping. Could it be a gear in the wheel or the drive assembly itself
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Is the belt tight? Have you checked the pinion gears? Do they spin free one direction and catch and turn the axle he other? Do the wheels have a metal gear or plastic cogs in the outer portion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belt is tight. The pinion gear looks like it is pretty well worn. That might be the problem.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Well I can't do much more from here without seeing it. Does it make any kind of grinding noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you are pushing the mower it sounds like the gears are always partially engaged and it's harder to mow with this mower than it would be with a regular Push mower since the driver system is not working
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Do the wheels turn? It could be the gear box and not the wheel pinion gears
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the wheels turn. When I lift up the back wheels and press the assist lever the wheels turn just not strong enough to move the mower.