Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Mod. ch20S Kohler motor in my simplicity, I have replaced

Customer Question

I have a Mod. ch20S Kohler motor in my simplicity, I have replaced 3 coils so far for missing and shutting down when mowing when the tractor is hot. Wait awhile and it will start and run for awhile and shut down again. Replaced all three in the last year and getting more frequent. need suggestions, Thanks Bernie.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bernie , my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. I'm not sure the coils are the culprit here. A engine needs spark , fuel and compression to run and it could be the valve lash is off so once it heats up and valves being metal expand and it may loose compression and shut off , once it cools the valve seal properly with the valve seals and it has compression to run.do you have access to a compression tester ?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
I'm reading up about the engine and it says it has service free valves , I found the shop service manual for it. I'm going to read that. I would be concerned about the compression ring if the valves check out ok , but we need a compression tester to verify anything . Here is the service manual
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2428_b.pdf