Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a craftsman lawn tractor that has very little power

Customer Question

Hi I have a craftsman lawn tractor that has very little power in reverse and sometimes wont move forward. I have put a new belt on and a clutch spring
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Is your transmission a manual shift? Did this problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over a period of time? Is your new belt tight, and actually turning the pulley on your transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it seems to have happened suddenly , its a hydrostatic transmission unit , is there a belt tension adjustment?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. Were you having this problem before you replaced your belt? Have you removed one of your rear wheels recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it was happening before I changed the belt,I cant remember if I had a wheel off or not , if so what should I check for?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If you removed one of your wheels, we need to confirm whether you put the square key, back into the key way in your wheel and your axle shaft.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Also make sure your bypass rod is pushed all the way in.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to pull up a diagram of your mower, with the model numbers you posted. I am not 100% sure of the brand of your transmission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I can check that tommorrow night, how many days am I able to ask you questions ( its the first time I used this service)
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Just take your time. We can work together until you and I resolve our problem. Just wait until we are finished, before you leave a rating for me.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
When you have a chance, will you get the brand name and model numbers off of your transmission for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thanks , we will chat soon
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Donald . I took both wheels off and both keys are on the axles, the transmission number is ***** Torq 7A646084181 , thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! Thank you for checking. If you are certain that your belt is tight, and is not slipping, next check to make sure the bypass lever on your transmission is actually moving when you push in your bypass rod. Check for a build up of dirt and debris on your transmission, that may be preventing your control lever from shifting fully into forward and reverse.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If everything is okay externally, then our problem is very likely internal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ill check that tommorrow , what if it is internal????
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If our problem turn out to be internal, then you will need to either repair or replace your transmission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok if that's the case would you be able to assist with the repair of the transmission ?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Have you worked on a transmission before? I must say, that it is a very advanced procedure, if yours require a total rebuild. Sometimes, changing your transmission oil and internal filter will work, and sometimes a total rebuild is required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi apparently they are a sealed unit from the factory, if so is it possible to change the fluid
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can change the fluid and filter, but you will have to remove your transmission from your mower.