Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

2013 Toro Timecutter MX5060 zero turn radius mower My drive

Customer Question

2013 Toro Timecutter MX5060 zero turn radius mower
My drive belt fell off while driving on flat terrain and while mower deck was not engaged. I put the belt back on several times. After starting the motor, the belt would immediately fall off again. I installed the belt again, and turned the motor over very slightly, and I see what's causing the belt to come off. It seems like the black plastic "fan" just below the drive pulley is bending up, and getting between the pulley and the belt itself. I assume that fan is there to cool the hydraulic motors on both sides. Is this a known problem? Is there a known solution, without simply removing the plastic fans? I assume they are necessary.
I've had this mower for about a year, and never had a problem until today.
Thank you, John
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I doubt the fans are the problem. They should not be moving. Is the idler spring in place, keeping the belt tight at all times? See the link.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
https://polr.partstree.com/v1/iplimage.php?ir=YTozOntzOjY6ImxpbmVJZCI7czo0OiJ0b3JvIjtzOjk6ImltYWdlUGF0aCI7czozNjoiTXpNM01TMDNOelZjYVcxaFoyVmNOREV4TnpJeExtZHBaZz09IjtzOjc6Im9wdGlvbnMiO2E6MTp7czo1OiJ3aWR0aCI7aToxMDAwO319
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the spring is there. I had to unhook it and reinstall it several times as I was reinstalling the belt. The last time I put the belt back on, I clicked the engine over a little at a time, and then I saw 2 or 3 of the plastic fan blades bending up, between the belt and the pulley. The next time I bumped the motor, the belt came off. Here's a pic from under the motor. You can see the belt, pulleys and fans. The fan on the left is the one that's throwing the belt off. I've bent all the blades back down so they're all "even" but as soon as I hit the key, the belt flies off again.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
so the fan is damaged or lose and needs to be replaced.