Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 27 OHV Briggs that would not start. It was like it

Customer Question

I have a 27 OHV Briggs that would not start. It was like it was vapor locked. The started would not crank it over. I check the battery, the selnoid and the starter they were all good. Hooked it up directly to my vehicle battery still the same. Took out the plugs and check the valves. Two were out of tolerance. Set them to spec. The engine will not turn over at 50-60%, fire up and stop. Then the starter will not move it until about 10 minutes passed the. It will spin at 50-60%, fire up and stop. I can physically turn the fly wheel after this happens. I am stumped!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! What is battery voltage before start, and when engine would turn? I'm thinking that your starter is bad. You say it was checked, how was it checked? These engines are not hard to crank,and unlike the Briggs single cylinder engines, don't have compression release that breaks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I asked the question I noticed that when I did turn the motor over the what little fuel was in the filter was gone and the membrane in it about collapsed in on itself and no fuel was going into the filter. The main fuel line was vapor locked horribly bad. I undid all the fuel lines, reattached and it started no problem and did the rest of the day. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
!! Thank you!