Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

I have an LT160 John Deere with a Kohler engine. It had been

Customer Question

I have an LT160 John Deere with a Kohler engine. It had been sitting for a while so was going to do a tune up. Took it out before the tune up and everything ran fine. Turned it off and next day performed the oil change (w/ filter), spark plug, air filter and fuel filter. Started it up and it rain for 5 seconds and shut-off. It will not start now. In looking at the fuel filter it seems like there is suction but there doesn't seem to be fuel getting into the inlet of fuel filter. If I take it off the inlet side of the filter is dry. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
Take fuel line off of fuel pump that goes to carb. Crank engine over and see if it pumps fuel. If it does not then take line off fuel filter on tank side and blow air through it to make sure line and pick up tube is clear. Another thing to try to see if it is lacking fuel is to take out air filter and while cranking engine take carb cleaner and spray into carb intake and see if it will fire. If it does then it is fuel related and not ignition. There is a fuel solenoid on the carb bowl that could also be stuck closed and not allowing fuel through carb as these can get gummed up over time from sitting.