Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Briggs and Stratton Extended life series model 44P777 0115

Customer Question

Briggs and Stratton Extended life series model 44P777 0115 E1. Ran fine after sitting. before running i clean carb new plugs, filter air and fuel. Stopped running. Had cracked dry rotted vacuum tube from valve cover to fuel pump. Replaced with new. Now
it wont start. While turning over noticed wet sprk plugs and carbon. Removed heads cleaned piston top and head. Replaced head gaskets and reassembled. Set valves between 004-006. Getting 120psi from both pistons. Set armature air gap between 008-012. Acts
like it wants to start runs bad for a bit and dies out. Left it alone for a week went out it started fine and i cut the yard. Turn mower off and it hasnt started again since. Not smoking at all when it was running. Did not see any fuel/air mixture screw on
the engine. Any help will be great. I need to get it running. Thanks Watching the grass grow.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is the fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor opening?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Best test is to remove it and plug the hole.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I could not take it off from bowl. I dint have a wrench narrow enough to fit around it where you unscrew it. Plugged it up with bowl off and noticed solenoid going in and out as i turn ignition switch to on. Also changed fuel pump, when i replaced vacuum tube. Verified fuel is pumping fine. Seems like too much gas. Removed fuel manifold and noticed small amount of fuel at bottom inside intake ports under the valves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only thing after market is fuel filter
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do the spark test and and if it has spark, I would disable the fuel solenoid! Too many test good, but still don;t work!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has good spark both coils
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
So it is not getting fuel. I would not take the fuel solenoid for granted!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its getting fuel. i tried to start it with solenoid unplugged.nothing. plugged it back up and it attempted to start. Looked at plugs after that they are wet with fuel.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
A sure way to get no fuel is to unplug the solenoid! Unplugging it and it can't open the main jet!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It has to be removed, or the end cut off!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
timing was set individually with each piston at TDC on compression stroke.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Timing is set by the flywheel key!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What? Excuse me i meant setting the valves
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the timing. Did not notice any issues with flywheel key. It seemds to be fine as far as sheared
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It is not timing problem!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal for the small amount of fuel to be under intake valves
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If rings were bad i would not get 120 psi right
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Either the fuel solenoid is not opening, or the valves are not opening, due to bent or broken pushrods. Have you had a valve cover off after the engine ran? These engines have history of valves sticking and bending the pushrods!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, because i checked and reset the valve clearances a second time yesterday to be sure. Turned engine manually after setting them to ensure valves were seated correctly and operating. When i had the heads off i manually puched each valve and spring to make sure nothing was stuck. All looked fine. Rods not bent and are seated good on rocker arms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what am i missing. I bet its something simple.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
fuel solenoid!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it wasnt getting fuel then there would not be fuel puddled up under intake valve and the spark plugs would not be getting wet with fuel like its flodded after i try starting it. I remove the plugs clean them and dry them off. replace them and after several attempts to start it they come out the same wet with fuel and a bit carboned from the fule burn during the attempted starting of the engine. Is the right or wrong
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like it has fuel! When did you last check the valve operation. Maybe they are not moving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
today when i had the intake manifold off i could see them moving. I checked all valves and spring intak/exhaust when i had the heads off. all seem to work fine as i pushed them down. With valve covers off i manually rotated flywheel and both intak/exhaust vales were moving from pushrod to rocker arms movement.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
with spark, fuel and compression. that only leaves timing!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will remove flywheel tomorrow and do a further inspection of flywheel key. If it is at all sheared i will replace it. I will let you know how it turns out.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
removed flywheel this morning. key seemed fine but i replaced it anyway. Still doing same thing. On chock it will start but run for seconds. take choke off it runs for seconds and shut off never really getting to a full speed operation no matter where the throttle lever is located. any suggestions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm using synthetic oil is this ok. in florida area with high temps
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Synthetic is ok! I still would try the fuel solenoid!