Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My name is ***** *****. I have a old 1990 72 " Excell

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****.
I have a old 1990 hustler 72 " Excell mower lately the belts keep coming off. I replaced the belt, and a idler pulley on the right side. It is aprox. 1" bigger then the on the left, would this be the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Are you referring to your motion drive belt, or your deck belt? We can contine from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the deck belt
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
David, thanks for this information. Remove your belt from your deck. Spin each of your idler pulleys , and each of your spindles by hand. Listen for a worn bearing that is making an usual noise. Your bearings should all spin quietly, and freely. Watch to see if one of your pulleys wobble as you spin it. A worn bearing can partially seize after it heats up, causing your belt to come off.
Check the bushing in your idler arm, for excessive wear. Check for excessive up and down movement in your idler arm. Also, check the running surfaces on each of your pulleys. Is your new belt an OEM belt? What about your new pulleys. Is it OEM? We can continue from here. Thanks!