Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Craftsman YTS 3000 21 HP &S engine model #917-289244

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman YTS 3000 21 HP B&S engine model #917-289244 serial#040-810D010741. It has an oil leak at the bottom crankcase split of the block. It had this problem during warranty and the gasket was changed, but that did not correct the problem for long. Now that the unit is out of warranty I would like to try and repair the problem myself. Can you give me any idea as to what may be creating the problem? I was a service rep. for OMC for 24 yrs and I am not unfamiliar with issues that come up from time to time in manufacturing. I would like to know if an Anerobic sealer may work better than the gasket? Are the parts out of spec.? I have machinist abilities to put that in order if I knew what was needed. I can just go it alone if I can't get any ideas from you, but someone must know something about this issue. Thanks for listening.
***** *****
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Do you have the model numbers for your engine? Model and Type numbers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Donald, I am looking at the engine and it has no other markings on it other than what was under the seat on the mower. I figured that was the chassis number, but found no others. Where might they be located on the engine?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
There will be a shiny cover on the rear of your engine, with OHV stamped in it. Your model, type, and code numbers will be engraved in the top of this cover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hold please!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
No problem Dan ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have that availble to me as I thought at this moment. The mower is 2 yrs old. Can you give me any general info as to what the problem might be? I am going to dis-assemble the engine and may find the problem on my own. Just was looking to see if a gasket material change had been made or if any parts were out of spec keeping the case from closing completely.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Dan, I would like to make some suggestions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, shoot!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The most common reason for gasket leaks in this area of your engine, is due to your bolts loosening, and slightly backing out, due to vibrations during normal operation. I do believe that if you thoroughly clean your oil sump, and crankcase mating surfaces, your OEM gasket will work for you. Clean your bolts and bolt holes, and put some Blue - Medium Strength Loctite on each, to secure them.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Would you like to have the torque specs for your bolts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the technician who last fixed the mower this was done. Now I have no way of checking the quality of his work. I did demand to meet the repair person after it failed again (from Sears) and I was not impressed with his shop or credentials.
Yes I would like to have the torque specs. Thank you, Donald!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there nothing else going on with the engine I will be happy to just replace the gasket and torque the bolts with blue loctite.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the gasket require any adhesive of any kind?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Briggs and Stratton does not recommend using an adhesive. I personally do not use it either. I just make sure both surfaces are totally free of old gasket material. I also make sure mu surfaces are true. I am gathering your torques specs.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link. Let's see if it opens for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will make sure the surfaces are true including any raised areas if the bolt holes were over torqued. I will also straight edge the entire surfaces to make sure they are true. That gasket doesn't look to be much more than newspaper, but I haven't had one in my hand yet. I am use to two strokes.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I understand. It is not very thick, but it is the actual recommended gasket. I do believe this will work out for you. I have been personally running one of this series of engines for over four years, without leaks.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
As long as your bolts remain tight, your gasket should not leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it did, 220 lb-in. Thank you very much, Donald. Let's hope this puts this to rest. I should be able to just lift the sump off without disturbing any other comonents, right. Again, I am a two-stroke guy so we don't have all those valves, cam, and timing to keep up with. Thanks so much for your help. I'm pretty sure I can do this.***** *****
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! Yes you can lift your sump without disturbing your internal parts. Just watch for your Governor Gear. It seats on top of your cam gear. You do have mechanical experience, so, yes you can do it. Just take your time.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Dan, I am also attaching a link to a free service manual for you to use. It will cover your engine. Service Manual - Click Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how, but I ended up getting an email from two techs. Curtis B. and you Donald. You both basically told me the same thing except he (Curtis B.) told me to use aviation cement (Permatex) on both sides of the gasket. I know what you said and I am familiar with this adhesive, just wondered who is correct? I have the copy of the service manual and will be checking to see what is recommended. The model #331877 type #1371 it turned out to be. I have an OEM gasket #697110 on the way. Thanks for all your help. With the manual I do not think I will have any problems.
Dan in TN
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dan. I have rebuilt several Briggs and Stratton engines over the years, and I have never personally used a sealant on sump gaskets. Curtis is very sharp, and does have advanced knowledge of small engines. If he recommended, using aviation cement, then I am sure it will work for you.