Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a John Deere 14SB mower with the Kawasaki engine. It

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 14SB mower with the Kawasaki engine. It suddenly stopped running. I could find no trouble with the fuel and spark. I removed the cover and found that the key on the flywheel where it meets the drive shaft had sheared. I installed a new key. This time it ran OK for about a minute the made a "pop" sound and stopped. I checked and once again found the key sheared. The odd thing is that the mower can still be cranked (with the sheared key) so there is still significant friction between the crank and the flywheel. I'm stumped. Any thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Are you getting your flywheel nut tight enough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think so. I'm gripping the metal part that sticks up to connect with rope assembly with a pair of channel locks and tightening against that.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. I do not believe you are getting enough leverage to properly tighten the nut.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where/how to I get enough leverage?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Are you using a 3/8" or a 1/2" drive ratchet? What are the model numbers for your engine? I will check to see what your flywheel nut needs to be torqued at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm using a 3/8" drive. Model #(###) ###-####01.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I will tell you how to get the nut tighter. Remove your spark plug, and fill your spark plug hole using a piece of soft rope. As your piston rises to the top of your cylinder, your rope will serve as a piston stop, and prevent further rotation. At this point, you can tighten your flywheel nut, without your flywheel spinning.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If you do not have a Torque Wrench, just get your flywheel nut, good and tight.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
A piece of rope from an old lawnmower, or chainsaw will work for this purpose.