Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Craftsman Model###-##-####20 hp 42" mower. Yesterday

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Craftsman Model###-##-####20 hp 42" mower. Yesterday it just stoped. When I put it in gear nothing happens. I think the problem is in the Transmission and according to everything I have read, they are not serviceable. The unit is about 12 years old. Is it worth it to try to repair this tractor or just forget it and look for something new?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
I would consider purchasing something new, rather than repairing your existing transaxle. Your transaxle is a Hydro-Gear brand, and it is repairable, but to correctly repair yours, the cost will be rather expensive. Also, it will be very difficult to find a qualified technician who is willing to rebuild / repair your transaxle.
Keep in mind, that even if you get your transaxle issues resolved, you will still have a twelve year old mower, with other potential problems, waiting to occur.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
What was your reason for replacing your belt? Is your new belt an oem belt, and is it tight enough? Check the bypass lever on your transaxle, to make sure it is actually moving when either push or pull the bypass rod at the rear of your mower. Check your control rod, to make sure it is still attached. Also check the square key inside both of your rear wheels.
These are just some checkpoints for you. Give these a try, before you make your final decision. We can continue from here. Thanks!