Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a robin 18 hp engine that ran poor progressively until

Customer Question

I have a robin 18 hp engine that ran poor progressively until dying. Engine will start for about a second. Replaced plugs and fuel filter still will not start. Have always had to use starting fluid to start when it dud ran. Engine seems unaffected by staring fluid now. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! How many hours on the engine? Have you checked fuel supply to the carburetor? Has the carburetor been cleaned? Has compression been checked? Have the valves been adjusted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would estimate about 300 hours on engine. I believe fuel is getting to the carburetor however it has never been cleaned. Compression or valves never checked.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I would start with fuel to carb., then clean carb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How best to clean the carb? I assume removing the the carb and taking to a shop is the best approach? Is there a method for cleaning in place?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Just remove the float bowl on the bottom of the carburetor and use spray carburetor cleaner to clean the bowl, the bowl bolt, and the center passage in the carburetor, and the passage with the needle valve in it. Here is a basic carburetor link, your's will be similar! ----------------------------------------------------------http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/subaru_robin_v-twin_nikki_carb.asp
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/subaru_robin_v-twin_nikki_carb.asp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck so far. I removed carburetor and cleaned. Replaced spark plugs and verified spark. Replaced fuel filter and filled with new gas. Engine will still not start. Engine has about 350 hours on it. Does engine need replacement?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What is the compression? With it having starting issue, it may be low on compression, and needs repair or replacement. Needs to be above 80 psi.