Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a ez go marathon golf cart electric. The batteries are

Customer Question

I have a ez go marathon golf cart electric. The batteries are good but it does not move. The batteries are charged and the lights and reverse beep comes on. When you press the foot pedal the solinoid will make a click noise. Any help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Year model? From label at the passenger glove box area. Letter number, with last two numbers being year. What kind of speed control? When did cart last run? Have you tried bypassing the solenoid? Using a jumper cable from one set of large terminals to the other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try to jump the solinoid but nothing happened. The golf cart is late 80s early 90s
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Resistor control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What and where is that
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Look a this
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/gallery/categories/EZGO/EZ_Go_Wiring_Diagrams/media/ez-go2.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok which number is ***** is the same layout of my motor
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Resistors are 1 thru 4.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
But solenoid has to power the foot control. # *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you would suggest replace the resistor and solinoid. But even after jumping the solinoid it still didn't work
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No, check the resistor pack for continuity. And see if the solenoid is closing and getting 36 volts to the foot control!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
This is all mechanical system, and has no electronics. I owned one of these.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll let you know what happens
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not getting power to the resistors. I went a ahead and ordered new solenoid and resistor pack. They looked like cap anyways. Anything else you can think of why it's not moving
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have 36 volts to the solenoid from battery pack? The micro switches on the f/r switch and micro switch on the foot pedal, have to complete the circuit, to close the solenoid. Does solenoid click when pedal is pushed? You get nothing to the speed control or the resistors till the solenoid closes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid does click when pedal is pushed
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
oK, so do you have 36 volts to it? And when it clicks, do you have 36 volts on the opposite side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idk I suppose so I don't have a meyer
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Best thing you can buy is a digital voltmeter, less than $10.00 at auto supply or retail store!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very true never had a use for one tho lol. I'm a have to buy one. I'm waiting for the new solenoid and resistor to arrive. Any other causes you can think of off the top of your head?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No, if solenoid works, it should send voltage to the speed control. and it would power the resistors, which goes direct to the drive motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great when it comes in I'll put everything on and let you know what happens. Thanks for all your help
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks.