Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  many years on egine rebuilding, lawn mower,roto tiller,Truck,and small engines
6825259

I have a 17 year old Sears Tractor with a Kohler V-twin 24

Customer Question

I have a 17 year old Sears Tractor with a Kohler V-twin 24 HP engine. 355 hours. (Model # *****) Recently, it has started acting like its running out of fuel or an electrical short. It will barely ok, then load up, barely run and then recover. Seems the more demand load (mowing or higher speed) put on it the quicker it loads up. Battery is fine, cleaned out fuel tank, replaced fuel lines and fuel pump, checked fuel delivery to carb. Good. Checked electric safety on carb float bowl. Works fine. New NGK spark plugs (seems to fire fine).
I can only guess either an electrical short or a carb rebuild at this point?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm WayneI will help you with this Have you adjust the valves, that is required at every 200 hours both valves lash is .005, engine cold,this is a common problem on theses engine If this helped you, Please rate my answer3 or more stars If not, please reply for more infoThank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Have not done this but I'll try this tomorrow and try to get back to you with results. I didn't mention we live in SW Colorado at 6,100 MSL. Don't know if this matters or not.This site does a lot to try to sign you up for monthly service, which I DO NOT want. :). Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for that
Yes we go to Grand Junction 2x a year , in-laws live there
just left there 3 weeks ago,
No the altitude wont; have a effect, reason being , they are per set for that
at the dealer.
also I tell customers, to ignore the service, if they do not want it
I also ask customers to rate me so I get credit for question
that only happens when you use 3 or more starts
If this helped you, Please rate my answer
3 or more stars
If not, please reply for more info
Thank you