Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 2011 RZT50 Dub Cadet Mower, the Hydrostadts soom to

Customer Question

I have a 2011 RZT50 Dub Cadet Mower, the Hydrostadts soom to be slipping. The mower has 300 hours on it. I have a new belt ordered.
#1. Do you have tips on changing the drive belt.
#2. What maintenance could be done with the Hydrostadts is the new belt does not somve the slipping problem. Can the oil be changed, is there a filter that needs to be cleaned, what oil goes back in? Do you have any illustrations to do the maintenance.
Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
If you are still needing assistance, I can help. Thanks!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The number one thing to remember, is to wait until you get your new belt, before removing your existing belt. Take notes, and pictures as you go. This will make re-assembly much easier for you, after you receive your new belt. You have an idler arm, with an idler pulley, and a tension spring attached to it. Make notes of where each end of your spring attaches.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
To unhook your tension spring, and re-attach it, you can loop a piece of rope over the hook on your spring, and this will give you the leverage you will need, in order to stretch this spring. You can use a two or three feet piece of rope from an old lawnmower, or chainsaw for this purpose.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I do believe that if you replace your drive belt, with a Genuine OEM Cub Cadet Belt, this will resolve our problem. Your mower have Hydro-Gear brand transaxles that are basically maintenance free. To change the oil in these units, you will have to remove both transaxles from your mower, to accomplish this.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Please take a look at both image I have attached for you. I have marked the areas you will need to focus on, when replacing your drive belt. After you remove your existing belt, spin your idler pulley by hand. It should spin smoothly and quietly. If you notice any wobbling, and hear any noises, replace this pulleys, as well.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Make sure both transaxles are clean, and free of dirt and debris. If needed, clean them with compressed air. Do not use water. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Take a look at this next image. You can also use a 3/8" breaker bar to release the tension on your idler arm. This is the best way. If you do not have a breaker bar, use the rope.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have changed the belt and the left Hydrostadt seems to be working fine however the right one is still weak and slips when it warms up. This is a "Hydro-Gear" Hydrostadt. The number is ***** 2C-AMBB-4DDB-3RPX, can this be rebuilt or can you get a rebuilt one? What do you think are the options.
Thanks for the notes for installing the belt.
Don
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I am back with you. Thanks for the information above. If your transaxle slips after it warms up, this is an indication of an internal problem. Check to see if you notice any oil leaks on your right side transaxle. If you do not see any leaks, then your oil level is likely okay. However, if you like, you can check your oil for contamination. You can also purge your right side transaxle, just in case there is some trapped air inside. Trapped air and contaminated oil can affect the performance of your transaxles. These are just other possibilities, to consider, before repairing or replacing your unit.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The good news is, yes this model can be rebuilt. I have rebuilt several. The bad news is, it will be very difficult to find someone qualified and willing to rebuild your transaxle. Unless you find someone who is seriously experienced in rebuilding these units, you are better off buying a new one.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I have attached information relating to the purging procedure.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I am assuming that you put on an OEM Cub Cadet belt?