Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Does the fuel tank pickup have a screen on it. may have dirt

Customer Question

does the fuel tank pickup have a screen on it. may have dirt in fuel mower boggs down after 5 min running time than stops. this problem started on the right tank last year and now on the left tank. took the fuel selector off and blew it out with air put it back on with no success problem still exists
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes there is a screen in the tanks put I cannot tell you for sure that yours unit has one. They con't clog up very often. You most likely problem is a clogged carburetor that needs to be cleaned and rebuilt with a carburetor repair kit.Make sure that you are using FRESH 89 octane gas. Do not use old gas as it can cause problems.You also could have a spark problem where the ignition coil may be breaking down after it get heated up. When the engine dies, quickly check the spark to see if you have spark. If no spark then the ignition coil is probably bad.LEt me know what you find.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.Feel free to contact me here if you need mor information.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
I saw some typos' so I retyped a couple of lines for youSometimes there is a screen in the tanks, BUT I cannottiell you for sure if your exact unit has one. The screens if there is one DON'T clog up very often