Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My RATO RV140-1 won't start. It's only been used three times

Customer Question

My RATO RV140-1 won't start. It's only been used three times since new. It worked fine and started first pull each and every time for those three times.
I have checked that the spark plug is getting gas... bought a new plug. The gas is high octane and new as well. The filter has been checked and cleaned. There is no spark at the plug when pulled. The coil resistance has bèen checked. It is neither open or shorted.
I suspect that the brake has something to do with the problem.
Before I disassemble the unit let me know if it's possible to adjust.
Thank you, Gary
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Check the kill switch. Unplug the kill wire that goes to the coil, and see if you have spark. If the switch grounds out the spark, from dirt or bad connection, you get no spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this wire just pull off? Is it a 'faston' plug on terminal or is it soldered? I don't want to break the wire off.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It should just plug on!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled off, inspected the brake switch, not shorted. Can't get spark to spark plug socket using screw driver in socket center to short to socket jacket. Looks like coil may be bad??? I don't know. Any suggestions? Tx Gary
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If removing the coil kill wire does not produce spark, the coil would be bad!