Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have murray riding mower. I have replaced the spark plug,

Customer Question

I have murray riding mower. I have replaced the spark plug, ignition switch, wires to the battery, solenoid, and the carburetor bowl. I have used carburetor cleaner to clean the carburetor. I cranked the lawn mower it ran for about 5 min. then it quit. Then I cleaned the carburetor bowl again because I guess my mower is not getting gas. Then I tried cranking my mower again and the starter got hung up and it wouldn't shut off until my battery died. What else can I do? I am charging my battery right now.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like you have more than one problem.The first one is that the starter got stuck turning. This is usually a starter solenoid or the starter switch that is bad. Sometimes even a new solenoid can be bad. Or the ignition switch is shorted in the on position.ST running problem could still be in the carburetor if it is not getting gas. if the gas is not the problem then you might have an ignition coil that is failing when it gets hot.When it dies, you should remove the spark plug and check the spark. if you do not have spark then the ignition coil is bad and needs replaced.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
There is also a chance that the FUEL SOLENOID is not operating . Put your ear next to the carburetor and run the key to the on position. If you hear a click then the fuel solenoid is working , if not then it is bad and needs to be replaced.Please give me a good rating asn this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I don't have a fuel solenoid. I changed the ignition switch. what else do I check in the carburetor if it is not get to gas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will any solenoid work if it is 12v and for a murray
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
NO, you need to get the correct solenoid.
Any good mower repair shop can look at your old solenoid and get you the correct one. The brand isn't important but the style is.
You just need to make sure that all small passages are clean and the float is set correctly...which is nearly level.
Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time. Remember you are rating the effort not a solution.