Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Craftsman 8.5 hp shredder with no fire. I'

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman 8.5 hp chipper shredder with no fire. I' disconnected the ground switch and already tried two new coils. No fire. Ive cleaned the magnets on the flywheel. They have magnetism. Adjusted the gap to .010. Still no fire. What could the problem be?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer , if your chipper has a bag etc it could be a safety sensor that is tripped . Can you give me the model number of the chipper and the engine info and type
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The chipper-shredder is a Craftsman Model No.###-##-####and the engine is a Craftsman 8.5 H.P. Model No.###-##-#### ***** engine has been sitting in my shed for about a year since last used. I remember the engine making a loud popping noise. When I tried starting up lately, the engine had no fire. I replace the ignition module (Part No.35135) and still no fire. I put a second ignition module on and still no fire. The ground wire to the kill switch has been disconnected, so there is nothing else connected to the module. I cleaned the magniets with a soft scouring pad and adjusted the gap between the flywheel magnet and the module to .0010 in. I checked the polarity on the magnets and they tested ok. Magnetism seems ok.

Any solutions?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Where did you get the replacment coil from ? . Also try gapping it with a business card between the flywheel and coil . Technically you should have spark, even a engine with a broken connecting rod will have spark. Are you using a spark tester
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought one ignition module from superpower.com and the second one from the local small engine shop. Neither one works,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought one ignition module from superpower.com and the second one from the local small engine shop. Neither one works, I know that technically there should be spark, but there isn't, not even weak spark. I haven't changed he flywheel. Do you think this could be the problem? It would seem that even if the magnets were weak, they could still induce some voltage in the module.

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
If the coil is loose will the magnets pull it to it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Then the magnets are ok , are you using a spark tester ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I haven't used a spark tester. Any ideas?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
How are you testing for spark to verify the coil is t firing ? , remove the air filter and put a shot of gas in the carb and see if it does anything .
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
How were you testing for spark at the plug ?