Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a John Deere 14SB mower with the Kawasaki engine. It

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 14SB mower with the Kawasaki engine. It stopped running. It had spark and fuel. I removed the cover from the OHV access. Found a stuck lifter. I removed the engine and opened the crank case. I found one of the two pieces that goes between the cam and the rod was stuck against the block. I loosened it and checked to see if it was binding. It seemed OK so I reassembled the engine (making sure that the marks and the cam and crank gears were aligned). Now when I try to start the engine it kicks back on the first crank and then nothing. It has spark and fuel. The compression seems good. I rechecked the valve operation and it looks OK. Any thoughts on what else it could be?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The timing key between the flywheel and the crankshaft is sheared. If it is sheared, it throws the timing off!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/flywheel_about.asp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just checked it. The key was sheared. Any idea why that would happen?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It sheared when the engine quit! Lifter locked up the engine and the flywheel kept going! shearing the key!