Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My John Deere riding mower is stop and go and back firing especially

Customer Question

My John Deere riding mower is stop and go and back firing especially when it needs more power like on hill or even when I turn on the blades????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Most of the time this happens because the engine is running lean. Which means it is not getting enough gas. This is usually caused because the carburetor is dirty and needs to be cleaned and rebuilt.Take several pictures of the carburetor and of the linkage before you take the carburetor off and then take it off and clean it and use a new carburetor repair kit to rebuild the carburetor. Make sure that you clean the gas tank as well to make sure that there is no water ir dirt in the tank that can be causing this problem. Water in the gas can easily caust this problem as well.Check or replace the spark plug at the same time and also replace the air filter sto make sure that you are getting clean air.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.Let me know if you need more help.