Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an exmark 60" with a Kohler 27 hp motor. The dealer

Customer Question

I have an exmark 60" with a Kohler 27 hp motor. The dealer I bought it from had it for 7 wks and can't figure out the problem. It acts like it's has a dead cylinder at times then you push the choke up alittle and it smoothed out for a bit and does it again? They told me to run the choke halfway and try it ! It still does the cutting out thing. Would greatly appreciate any help thanks Brent! It's only 3 yrs old and they put a carb kit in it and a acellerater pump in it also . Thanks again for any help!!!!
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Kohler SV700 series? You have a coil that is erratic! You can get a spark tester and check unit when it acts up! Looking for erratic spark from one cylinder. But repair will be to replace the coil. and Kohler says replace both coils!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sv740 but why would choking it make it run better for a bit? Aren't you adding more fuel to it by doing so? Just trying to grasp what's going on by doing that thanks again!!!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Choke is just adding more fuel . Which bypasses the main jet.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The fuel solenoid in the carburetor can act up, and restrict the main jet, but this does not sound like that.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Fuel solenoid in the carburetor can cause this, but this does not fit the symptom.