Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a toro commercial mower model #74242 Serial #270003413.

Customer Question

I have a toro commercial mower model #74242 Serial #270003413. About a month ago I lost drive on the right side. I let the mower cool down and drive came back and ran fine for a few minutes and duplicated the problem. I assumed it to be a bad drive motor and replaced it. Same problem. Then I thought "must be the wheel motor" and I replaced that too. Same problem.
Could it be a collapsed hose? Bad filter? Why on only one side?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me amend that....it is MODEL number 74272 (CP?) the serial number provided is correct.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
If you are still in need of assistance, I will be happy to assist you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update on your model numbers.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for updating your model numbers. Please take a look at the image I have attached for you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Both pumps and wheel motors share the same reservoir, and if our problem was related to oil, both sides would be affected. I will assume that your new Pump and Wheel Motor are OEM parts. Check for a leak in one of your fittings, connectors, or hoses. A collapsed hose is possible, but a bad filter will also affect both sides. If you correctly re-installed your new parts, it is likely that you have trapped air in your system. Did you purge your system, after replacing your pump and wheel motor?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did you flush your hoses before re-attaching then? Did you insect the oil in your reservoir for contaminants? These are only troubleshooting questions. What about your drive belt? Double check, to make sure it is not slipping. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ended up being the filter.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me know. I do hope that all continues to go well for you.