Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2518 Cub cadet riding tractor. I need to replace

Customer Question

I have a 2518 Cub cadet riding tractor. I need to replace the steering gear. How does this come apart? I have removed the steering column plastic panel and removed the pin and nut from the gear. Does this "pound out" thru the bottom, or will I need some sort of a gear puller to remove the main gear?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/2518-44-13b-288l100-13a-208l100-44-cub-cadet-garden-tractor/steering/
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Lower gear is held on with a cotter pin, The pin is removed and the shaft needs to come out the top!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have that out. What I can't get out is the large upper gear. This goes through a housing to a steering plate for the front wheel rods.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The # ***** sector gear? You have the nut # ***** off the lower shaft? Lower shaft has to drop down, and the upper gear would be loose!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have removed the nut, and washers, but the shaft won't come out. I have sprayed anti-rust in this and I am letting it set. Can I put the nut back on loosly and try to hammer out?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
sure, just put it on far enough not to damage the threads