Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

2003 Electric Club Car DS golf cart. Pulled motor and replaced

Customer Question

2003 Electric Club Car DS golf cart. Pulled motor and replaced guide ring and commutator bearing. Reassembled motor and re-installed.
With the rear wheels removed and the rear of the car raised, I press the accelerator pedal and the rear passenger wheel (only) spins exactly one revolution in a counterclockwise direction (regardless if the switch is in forward or reverse). Then, nothing happens after the one revolution.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Was cart running before motor repair? If you hold the passenger wheel from turning , does the other wheel turn? Have you out the tires on it and put it on the ground and tried it> You may just be looking at the differential action, and there is nothing wrong! Typical differential , if one wheel is turned manually, the other wheel will tun in opposite direction. That tells if the differential gears are intact!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not put the tires on and tried it. However, I noticed that both wheels are actually spinning and both spinning in the wrong direction. I did hold one wheel and you were correct on that test. The differential gears are in tact.Yes, the cart was running before the motor repair. This is an electric motor.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing wrong!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Put it together and it will drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you are telling me that despite both wheels turning in the incorrect direction (what essentially would be reverse), once the wheels are on and on the ground the wheels are going to begin spinning in the correct direction?Why will they only do a single revolution and then stop? Before I took the motor apart, with the tires off and back end raised, they would spin in the correct direction and continuously.To get the motor off, the leaf springs have to be removed. I am just wanting to make sure this is correct information before i put everything back together and then have to take them apart again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both wheels are spinning in the same incorrect direction at the same time!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Correct. Just differential action,does not mean anything! It will work!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you. Going to try this in the morning.....have a toddler b-day to be at.My skepticism exists in the fact that it will only spin one revolution and then do nothing. Prior to the motor repair, they would spin the whole time the accelerator pedal was pressed (jacked up with tires off).Will let you know!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies. I wasn't able to get to it yesterday. I will be able to get it done today and get back with you (and get you rated if correct).
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I suspected, the same thing occurs with the wheels on and on the ground. As it did when the wheels were removed and the back end lifted, it tries to do exactly one revolution of the wheels in the reverse direction (doesn't matter if it is set to forward or reverse).This issue is in the motor and has nothing to do with the differential.Any other ideas?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
? A 1 and A 2 on motor have full battery voltage and F 1 and F 2, getting power from controller?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using a multimeter, if I connect A1 and F1 I get a reading of 48.6......same if I connect A2 and F2.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Here is site, with test for motor. Ezgo and Club Car use same motor, Scroll down opening page to find test.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://mrcarts.com/cat_ezgo_technical_info.cfm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get 0.3 from A1 to A2........`1.6 is about the best I can get between F1 and F2 (set on 200 OHM test)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No continuity between A1 and F1, A2 and F2.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Can you make motor run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I follow the instructions using a jump wire it will move very slowly one revolution of the wheels forward and stop. In reverse, the solenoid just clicks and nothing happens.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
So you need to see why your motor is wired wrong internally!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor is not wired wrong internally. It worked fine prior to being pulled and the only wiring is from that of the brushes to the posts. No wiring configuration has been changed internally nor externally. I'm not trying to be rude at all, but I'm not sure that your background is a good fit with this situation.I'm leaning towards the speed controller actually being the issue. I am going to test it tomorrow. The B+, B-, and M- all seem fine. However, the motor is separately excited and the field wires have to be powered from the controller. I wasn't able to get a voltage reading from the field wires earlier.