Jay
Jay, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  25 years in house repair, ,
12314504

Have a small 8 gal oil air compressor... the issue I have is

Customer Question

Have a small 8 gal oil air compressor... the issue I have is It will run up to about 20 psi and it will trip the safety switch.. if I push it back in the motor has difficulty starting.. if I rotate the piston manually to where the piston is in the down position it will start fine for a few seconds and trip again .... the heat sync gets hot extremely quick by the time I reach 2p psi it is already hot ... I have taken the cylinder and piston out and cleaned them throughly ...taken apart the oil resavoir and cleaned it used engine assembly lube on the moving parts for initial start up until the new factory spec oil cycles through... put it all back together with no change to my symptom....I have heard it could be either a bad safety switch that trips on its own or the start up capacitor .... I don't think it is the switch due to the valve heat syncs getting extremely hot in a matter of seconds ...what is your colective professional opinion?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have bypassed the safety switch no change I have isolated the problem to the piston section because I removed the piston and cylinder an ran the motor it ran 10 min strait no problem
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
When you run the motor with out the pump, you are running under a no load condition. How many capacitors are on the motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Define no load condition and one capacitor
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
A no load contition, is when you took the piston and cylinder out of the equation. The motor is not under a load. I would have the capacitor checked, I am leaning toward a weak cap.