Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2005 kohler courage 26hp sv735 0016 engine.It starts

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2005 kohler courage 26hp sv735 0016 engine.It starts fine and then runs for awhile until it is hot and then the power reduces and the engine is vibrating differently than when running normal. I have the 54 inch grass cutting deck engaged. I continue to run it a the lower power and then it will surge back up to the full power. When I stop the tractor to dump the grass cuttings and I start it again, it will be running at the lower power and then after some time it will surge back up to full power and then after awhile it will lose power again. It does not matter if the deck is engaged or not. If I leave it shut down over night and start it again the next day it runs fine until it becomes hot and the same thing continues to occur. During the winter when I am plowing the driveway, I never have any problems and I will run the tractor sometimes for three hours. I have changed the sparkplugs, ari filter, gas filter and had into a service shop and they thought it was the gas tank lid but it continued to have the same problem. What could be the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! you have a coil that is failing. If you check the engine when it is acting up, you will find that one cylinder has lost spark. If that is the case, Kohler recommends replacing both together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try the test to see if one is failing. Can I try it when the engines is working fine or only when it losses power?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Need to check when it acts up!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I probably will not cut the lawn until next week. If the coil is not defective, can I E-Mail you with the results and obtain your expert opinion on other possible problems. By paying the $36 do I have a month service. I have only one tractor and other than this problem it has been working fine. I looked up the the coil for this motor and they are not available. There was a PB259 from Kohler that they have changed from the DSAI to MDI and there is a MDI Module Conversion Kit 32 707 01-S. Any idea why they would make this change?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about billing. All I do is answer the question! You would want the conversion kit, it two coils and a new wire!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The new coils are better!