Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Just bought Briggs power start lawn mower. Can't pull the cord

Customer Question

Just bought Briggs power start lawn mower. Can't pull the cord to start it. Why?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Have you ever started it? If you did start it and if you did not put oil into it, then you have locked up the engine and it will need to be replaced.Make sure that you have filled it with oil. Also if you ever tipped the mower on it's side, you will most likely have filled the cylinder full of ol and created a hydro lock. Take the spark plug out and try pulling the rope. You may spit oil out of the plug hole. Pull until it is clear.Another ting it could be is that they sometimes put a piece of plastic or wood between the blade and the mower housing for shipping purposes. Take the handle of the mower and push it down to the ground so that it lifts the front wheels off the ground. Then you can check for that piece of wood or plastic.Check these things. please let me know what you have found.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never started it. Brand new out of box.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Don't forget that you have to hold the brake lever so it will allow the engine to turn over.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
It is the lever that is up by the handle