Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Help - generator won't start. Starts and runs with starter

Customer Question

Help - generator won't start. Starts and runs with starter fluid, then stops when fluid stops. Replaced carb in 4/2012. Any thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
It is most likely the carburetor again. Generators sit for long periods of time and the gas in them tuns to gum and varnish. You cannot leave gasin them for much longer than 30 days without problems happening in the carburetor. You will need to remove the carburetor and clean it and you may even have to use a complete carburetor repair kit when you work on it. Make sure that you get all of the small passages clean.Make sure that you clean the gas tank and line before you hook up the cleaned carburetor or it will happen again.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
There could be other issues but the carburetor is the most likely problem.Please leave me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.