Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Grass hieght and belt breaking. Bought new 3 hours.

Customer Question

Grass hieght and belt breaking. Bought new Hustler 3 hours. Brought back to dealer 4 times. Belt keeps coming off and smoked once. Dealer can't solve problem. I am cutting high grass but would think engine would stall if grass to high and not blow out belt. What should I do. $4,000 machine with 3 hours on it 4 trips to dealer. Defective unit??? Bob
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
First of all the engines today are much more powerful than they used to be and willNOT stall even in high grass. You will continue to break belts if you son't slow way down and let the unit do the work.Make sure that you set the height of cut at the absolute highest setting when you are cutting high grass.The engine will not stall before it smokes the belts or breaks the belt. Take it very slow on the highest setting and once you get it mowed the first time you should be all right when cutting shorter grass.Also once a belt comes off, you CANNOT put it back on and use it again! The belt will twist and keep comming of again and again. So make sure that you get a new ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT belt.I hope that this will help you. Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site will pay me for my time.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Also make sure that when you engage the mower deck, that you have the engine running at FULL SPEED!Engaging it at less than full speed will cause the belt to either break or come off.