Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Technician
Experience:  15+ years of experience and a business owner.
8380480

I have a 1981 Trojan yacht. 44 FM aft with a 7500 onan gen.

Customer Question

I have a 1981 Trojan yacht. 44 FM aft with a 7500 onan gen. I have used the boat last 3 seasons and each season it was an event to get the gen to start after sitting all winter. Once it starts it will be fine all season it's a 4 cyl gas gen. I cannot get it started. I changed the plugs as the old ones were a bit fouled but still no go after days of messing with it and cranking and cranking it the gen almost started every time but it does not quite catch all the way and dies. I messed with it and noticed the starter does not disengage but rather keeps turning. The gen turns fast enough (when it starts to fire) for the starter to disengage from the flywheel but still spins. I think the starter is possibly the issue or an issue ? I only have an on / off switch that I flip on, gen cranks, stops, cranks, stops etc until it starts. It usually starts with just one cycle but right now I only let it cycle 1 time then turn it off then back on. Every time now th emoter cranks, put put put slowly fires and starts to catch then chug chug chug slower and slower till it dies. Exact same every time. Thoughts ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
Well the first thing that stands out is the starter should not stay running. That wouldn't cause the engine to not start if it's spinning fast enough to disengage it but that needs fixed.Whatever you have wired up to feed power to the starter is bad. It should have a switch to a solenoid then that solenoid should feed the starter.More than likely the solenoid is bad.Beyond that, have you tried spraying starting fluid in the intake to see if it will fire off that way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does have a regular solenoid so I can change that out. The starter fluid des not make any diff. It actually seems to fire a bit better without the starter fluid. I am wonder g f the fuel pump is a diaphragm pump and it has dried out ?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
Good deal.If it's not working out with starting fluid it's either out of time or the plugs are fouled again.Starting fluid negates any lack of fuel from the carb so as long as you have compression, good valve lash, and timing it will run.Remove the plugs and see if they're clean and dry.If so spray more fuel and see if it fires.If they're wet, dry them off or replace them again, hold the throttle open and crank it again.Make sure you have a charged battery so it cranks over fast enough to actually start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try tomorrow. It calls for champion plugs but copdnt cing any j8 so I got AC plug. How sensitive to the plug is this old gen. ?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
They're not sensitive at all actually.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will touch base torrow. Thanks !
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds good.