Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Donald,I have a similiar problem with my John Deere Lt180,

Customer Question

Hello Donald,I have a similiar problem with my John Deere Lt180, except my belt seems too tight after replacing the belt. It will be loose when starting and the blades do not turn. Than when you engage it. It seems fine but than starts making a weird rattle noise and than when disengaged it doesn't stop spinning and starts rubbing on the top of the deck. I followed the correct belt routing diagram and even took the whole deck off after routing it the first time with deck still connected, just to make sure it was routed correctly.
I bought this mower used and after the first full mow the belt was shredded, which is why I replaced it.
I also noticed that where the belt comes off the crank pulley and goes to the first small idler the belt rubs against its self coming off the big pulley on the left side
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for requesting me. Is the belt you are using, an OEM belt?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You and I can do some troubleshooting, to help figure out what is causing our problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a john deere belly I bought from Home Depot.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. There is a possibility that you have a worn bearing in one of your idler pulleys, or deck spindles, causing the rattling noise. You can remove your deck belt completely, then spin each of your idler pulleys, and deck spindles. Listen for rumbling bearings, or wobbly pulleys.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Check each of your pulleys for wear on the running surfaces, where your belt runs. Watch to see if your belt is going too deep inside your pulleys.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
We can continue from here. Thanks!