Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Cub Cadet LTx 1040 wont start. I just hear clicking. I have

Customer Question

Cub Cadet LTx 1040 wont start. I just hear clicking. I have replaced the starter and battery. If i jump the battery the lawn mower will start. I have a good ground(checked continuity to the frame to the battery), and as far as i can tell(without taking the whole thing apart) i have a good positive also.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. Are you jumping the battery or starter , if it starts jumping the battery it sounds like the battery doesn't have enough juice to crank the starter so it clicks . Do you have a multimeter where we could check voltage on the battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, i jumped it to the battery. When i connect my meter to it, i read 12v. It drops to around 7v when i try to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the flywheel suppose to spin freely by hand? i've tried to spin it and only get about quarter of a turn. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, just figured i'd give more information.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
That battery sounds like it has a bad cranking amp , for it to drop from 12v to 7v
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
How l9ng ago did you buy the battery ?