Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 22hp ohv twin 441777 with fuel problems. Once the engine is hot, it begins to di

Customer Question

I have a 22hp ohv twin 441777 with fuel problems. Once the engine is hot, it begins to die from a lack of fuel. It runs fine at an idle, I can choke the engine as it begins to die and it will run for a bit longer dieing eventually. I have replaced the fuel line, fuel pump, and fuel filter. I'm stumped. We have also noticed the fuel in the carb and line after it dies is an orange color rather than gold.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello Andy. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question. Have you checked the fuel shut off solenoid on the bottom of your carburetor? Sometimes, if this part is faulty, it will after it heats up.

Did you completely drain your fuel tank, before replacing your fuel line, filter, and fuel pump? The change in color of your fuel, is likely due to contamination inside your fuel tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The solenoid has been clicking with no problems and I did drain and air dry the tank to no avail. I have thought about making another heat shield between the solenoid and the engine. Maybe that would help to keep the solenoid from shutting down when hot?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. Check the pulse hose that goes from your valve cover, to your fuel pump. Sometimes this hose will develop a crack and results in a leak. How do you have to wait before your engine will restart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10 mins

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I would like for you to try something for me. Immediately after your engine shuts off, spray a small burst of carburetor cleaner, or starting fluid, directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start back up briefly. Also remove the fuel hose from your carburetor, to see if your fuel pump is still pumping fuel to your carburetor at this point.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Andy, take a look at your fuel cap, and inspect it, to see if the underside of it is still intact. Sometimes a fuel cap will become brittle, and fall apart, creating sediments in the bottom of your fuel tank. The sediments will float around inside your fuel tank, and settle over your outlet spicket after a few minutes, shutting off your fuel flow.