Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a kohler 26 horsepower in a walker mower oil cyl temp

Customer Question

I have a kohler 26 horsepower in a walker mower oil cyl temp light came on and its blowing out the dip stix
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Oil level correct or could it be over full from gas contamination? Does oil smell of fuel? If oil is ok, oil out the dipstick can be high crankcase pressure!. Caused by compression passing the pistons, or valve stems leaking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil level is fine no gas contamination the engine was running fine no noise etc. It has 950 hrs. pulled the crankcase breather cover and there is debris inside. The Reed valve looked OK but wonder if thats part of the issue... Next question how do I clean out the debris? Flush I out and then change the oil?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as best you can!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could that be the issue.... Anything else to look for while I have it apart? Is there a breather filter and could what I am seeing be what's left of it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
There would have been a breather filter. And it can deteriorate. What is the engine model number? CH26?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's the efi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure that's what I am seeing
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_24_690_06.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats not the motor the mower is a walker Mtchs 26_hp efi. It says command pro 26. Cleaned off the old gasket and cleaned out what was left of the filter screen. It was gunk. Could this have caused the problem of excess crankcase pressure and set off the high temp/oil sensor or am I wish full thinking. Again the engine seemed to have plenty of power and no unusal noise. Where is the best and quickest place to find the filter and gasket. Is it a common item. Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Have to come from a Kohler dealer or ordered off line. Was the breather line open? If it was open I doubt it will help!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/24_690_01_EN.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what's the options.
Compression test
Short block
Long block
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Or overhaul what you have!