Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I am trying to get my old 1975 Montgomery wards Gilson lawn

Customer Question

I am trying to get my old 1975 Montgomery wards Gilson lawn tractor to shut off at the key switch. It's not grounding out the mag/coil. The Briggs engine is the cast iron single cylinder Briggs engine 16hp, breaker points and condenser. I noticed that someone monkeyed with coil before I purchased it. It runs but can't shut it down (ground it out). The mag coil has two bare wires and another shielded wire going to spark plug. I am trying to determine which wire is the kill wire. The way it is set up now, (from the mag/coil) one bare wire connects to a bolt on the engine frame with a black wire lead going into condenser box. The other bare wire (on mag/coil) is connected with a screw on the post of the mag/coil armature. I am assuming this is supposed to be the kill wire ... It would be my next thing to check. Would Thisbe correct to assume?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Yes you should be right. Follow the wire doen to the points and condenser and the kill wire is the one that goes to the points and condenser. It is supposed to short them out. to kill it. Make sure that the switch is grounded and is open when you want the engine to run. it will be closed to kill the engine.Let me know how things come out.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.Feel free to contact me any time you need help.