Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a kohler command that runs my truck mounted carpet cleaning

Customer Question

I have a kohler command that runs my truck mounted carpet cleaning machine...
Every once in awhile the machine quickly idles down (like its raining out of gas) and sounds like it's about to die. I put some carb cleaner thru the carburetor and manually pushed th e governor lever past usual rpms and recess it 10 seconds at a time for 7 to 8 times. This seemed to work. The motor ran at a level rpm for hours at a time for the next few days... Now it's going back to what it was originally doing. The problem only happens once the machine has warmed up a little bit.... And then will happen the rest of the day intermittently whether under load or not.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Does the carburetor have a electric solenoid in it? This would be anti-backfire solenoid. It plugs the main jet when it closes. If it is trying to close, it can cause engine to falter. It can happen if the battery voltage drops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response!
If it does have an electric solenoid, and it's trying to close...do I need to replace my battery?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What is the voltage at the solenoid? Above 12 volts, battery ok, less than 12 volts, battery or charging system problem. If the voltage is 12 or above at the solenoid, the solenoid is suspect. It can be disabled by removing the inner tip and parts, and re-installing as a dummy, with the electrical unplugged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check the voltage while running the motor under load, not underload, when it was acting up, and when it wasn't acting up. The voltage stayed the same right around 13 V
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried disabling the solenoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to do that?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Remove the solenoid and the tip and spring should come out. remove them , and reinstall as a dummy.