Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My snapper CZT19481KWV won't crank. Key on can hear the solenoid,

Customer Question

my snapper CZT19481KWV won't crank. Key on can hear the solenoid, but starter won't engage flywheel. what now?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Is battery voltage above 12.5 volts? Low battery will not let starter engage. Check battery and the battery cables.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new battery and new ground cable (positive)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still not grabbing the starter to flywheel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it be the starter? do I take it off and check the brushes? and/or how do I do that (remove/check the starter brushes)
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you check the negative connection to the frame? Do you have voltmeter to test the battery voltage when the stater trys? You sure starter is not engaging, and engine is just not turning? Remove spark plug and see if engine turns?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I see you said replaced cable, new ground cable, positive?? Ground needs to be the black cable to frame, red cable is posiitve, to the starter solenoid. If battery is backward, the starter spins backward and ill not engage the flywheel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can manually with my left hand lift the starter into the flywheel where the teeth connects and with my right hand turn the flywheel and the starter will turn with it at this point. I am waiting for my dad to wake up~~lol~~and help....this is a four hand job, besides I hate touching battery cables UGH!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after hooking up the battery cables, starter would not turn so I took the solenoid/starter off~~will replace I guess :(
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me know